Saturday, February 14, 2009

Weight Loss: 1 down, 19 to go

Hey all,

So I presume most people are embarrassed to talk about weight - I guess I could say I am, in a way, too.

On the other hand, let's talk about it. :) I was as thin as a toothpick basically until I turned about 16. Then I got broad shoulders, taller, and bulked up a lot. I was doing cardio and weightlifting in Grade 12 and OAC and that was the toughest I've been. I was bulkier in Australia, but still a comfortable and reasonable weight. Then I got to Waterloo. Ouch. The stress of Computer Science at Waterloo and the many, many, many hours of stress mixed with no sleep and bad cafeteria food sent me over the top. I developed the "Freshman 20" like most people do... and I STILL haven't gotten rid of it. It's frickin' ridiculous.

Anyway I'm really fed up of saying that I care about this but not doing anything about it.

I talked to my sister a bunch about this and I've signed up for something called MyFitnessPal. Essentially this lets you track your calorie, fat, carbohydrate and protein intake per day, and subtracts the amount of calories you burn from exercise that day. Now I've heard that "just calorie counting doesn't work" but for me, it's better than not doing anything. I think I've gotten by for too long pretending I can eat whatever I like and not worry about it. So that's totally gotta stop. I keep making excuses (well, it's just a special occasion) but that seems to be the excuse every time...

I don't feel overly ridiculously overweight, but I would like to lose 20 lbs. That would be totally awesome, and I think my Tux will fit better if I get rid of this "Freshman 20" once and for all.

Anyhow, I feel like I need to "go public" with this so that I can energize myself to do better. If I know that one of my blog readers out there, somewhere, is interested in my progress... it then will motivate me personally to succeed at this.

Here's the tracker... so far 1 down, and 19 more to go!

Please wish me success and don't tempt me with cheesecake or Jones Soda. Or if you do, then please share it with me instead. ;)

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Food Diary

No comments: