Monday, September 05, 2011

Demetri Martin and Bob's Burgers

Bob's Burgers is in an interesting time slot right now: directly before the greatest show that has and will ever be made, The Simpsons (of course). As I suspect is the general aim, I've been quite easily encouraged to tune in a little early and watch Bob's Burgers. It's pretty frickin' hilarious, and the episodes I've seen have been pretty darn epic. The "mascot race" one was particularly insane/awesome/ridiculous. Great writing and great jokes too. Also the voices are hilarious.

Netflix instant watch has brought several new and awesome shows into my apartment over the last year, the most recent being Mad Men and Important Things with Demetri Martin. Mad Men was glorious, and I destroyed all 4 seasons in like a week. But Demetri Martin's show went even faster, I started Fri night (yes, I know), and now it's Sunday night and I've watched both seasons. It went quick and I hope they have another season planned cause it's pretty hilarious.

As I was watching I started noticing that a bazillion awesome comedians made cameos on the show (David Cross, John Oliver, Ellie Kemper)... a quick Google said that Demetri Martin and some of the other folks all used to write for Conan together. And connections to the Daily Show too. Ahhh, thus the pure comedic magic.

I then realized that one of my favourite actors on the show, H. Jon Benjamin, had a REALLY familiar voice. A quick Google confirmed: yep, he's the voice of Bob on Bob's Burgers. Brilliant.

This leads me to 3 conclusions:
  1. Everything good comes from The Simpsons. (Bob's Burgers is hilarious, H. Jon Benjamin is the voice of Bob and is on Demetri Martin's show, Demetri Martin wrote for Conan, Conan wrote for The Simpsons. Freezer-tight logic.)
  2. It's cool that funny comedians are friends with other funny comedians. I just checked out a few of H. Jon Benjamin's clips from his new show on the Comedy Central website. The first clip had him in a skit with the legend of Mr. Show, Bob Odenkirk.
  3. I don't know how I did anything before Google.

No comments: