Monday, July 23, 2012

5 years at ILM

Today is my 5th Anniversary at ILM.

It's hard to believe how quickly these years have gone by already. You know what they say about how times flies when you're having fun. :)

This sums it up: it's currently a Sunday night and I'm super excited about heading back to work tomorrow. There is lots of work to do, it's gonna be a busy day, lots of exciting and busy meetings, fitting in a workout in there somewhere, planning a bunch of stuff... but oh man, I can't wait for whatever is gonna happen. It seems the adult world generally sighs to itself on a Sunday night, "Oh no, work tomorrow". Not me. And not the amazing, brilliant, energetic, innovative, hard-working people I have had the pleasure to work closely with.

These two old posts from March 2008 and August 2008 are fascinating to re-read now. It's me describing getting into the work atmosphere, thinking about the transition between student (I graduated April 2007) and adult, and sticking hard to my ideals about how I want to live my adult work life by my own rules and not what seems to be the "standard" way. 26-year old Mike, I hope 30-year old Mike has done you proud and lived up to your expectations.

It's been great to have a chance to do so many personal projects along the way too: volunteering at 826, iMenorah, TEDx, etc. And SO much travel too! I've never been to so many places in such a short time: South Africa, Singapore, Malaysia, Canada, Japan, South Korea, Iceland, France, Italy, Peru, Brazil, and Argentina. Whhhaaaaaaat! This world is a fascinating and interesting place and I'm so pleased that I've been able to pull off a heck of a lot of world travel and really do my best to "work hard, play hard" over the past 5 years.

As always, I find it good to reflect, and I thank you all, dear blog readers, for letting me continue to use this platform to talk through things I'm thinking about in an overly open kind of way. It's great to think about how my work-life balance has been going over the past 5 years, the things that are great (listed above) and some things I think I need to make better. One of those such things is... I should say, WAS, my weight and general fitness... and I'm happy to say that I've really pushed that this year a whole lot and I'm really happy with that progress. I need to keep that going. There are some other things too. As Socrates said, "The unexamined life is not worth living", so here I am again, always examining and trying my best to tweak any issues. The constant pursuit of happiness continues.

No comments: