Monday, February 02, 2015

Batkid Begins: News & Reviews!

Some fun and interesting news articles have come out about Batkid Begins, and also some really kindhearted and well-thought-out film reviews. Here's a few I've enjoyed so far:
 And some great reviews right out of the gate!
 My favourite comments are from John Ford, of Slug Magazine:
Batkid isn’t here to save us from villains or tyrants or monsters, he’s here to save us from ourselves—from our cynicism and our constant lack of optimism. Batkid is a reminder that we should all be a little more childlike, be a little more trusting, be a little more caring and start giving more of a damn about each other in this world. We need you, Batkid. Save us.

He hits the nail right on the head. To me, that's the entire sum-up of the spirit of the day. Let me repeat this part: "Batkid is a reminder that we should all be a little more childlike, be a little more trusting, be a little more caring and start giving more of a damn about each other in this world."

I cannot begin to explain how overjoyed I am that this is the message someone is taking away from the film. When I was asked to join the Batkid team I just said "Yes", totally engulfed by the idea of it all and willing to go as many extra-miles as it took to get it right. But, thinking about the whole experience after it was all over, I thought about how it actually turned out to fit absolutely with my M.O. -- in the past when I auditioned for TED, in my interview video I suggested that "cynicism is a cultural disease" and that "childlike does not mean childish", that living with passion and a strong hopeful optimism is truly living.

Everyone gets something different from watching a film, I know, but man I am just blown over that one of the reviewers of the film so far took the kind of message from the film that I would give if I was making a film about why I participated in Batkid, why I personally think it sends out a statement about humankind that really matters. I think they tell lots of stories in the film, all important in different ways. But to me, personally, I am truly beyond words that Dana, Kurt, Liza, Ian and the rest of the crew were able to tell the message I would have told, with such clarity and perfection. Mazel Tov to all involved :)

No comments: