Friday, June 24, 2005

University of Waterloo Alumni Evening/Hangin' out

Tonight was pretty sweet. Susan picked me up at work and we drove to San Francisco. It was during rush hour so that was not a great idea because it took us almost 2 hours to get to San Francisco and find a parking spot! The traffic was nuts and it was near impossible to find a parking spot.

After we finally found a spot and were very happy to get out of the car, we walked to the bar/lounge where the University of Waterloo Alumni event was occurring and we were 1 hour late!! We got there around 7pm and it was supposed to start at 6pm. We missed a bit of the food and some of the speaker's talk but fortunately we got to hear a bit of the talk and eat some food so that was good! We also got a free drink with our ticket so that was fun.

There were some super nice people there that were Waterloo Computer Science grads from 1994, 2000, 2001 etc. Among the cool people I met were Avi and Paul from Apple. They were cool guys and we chatted a lot about the new Mac OSX on Intel Processors news. Paul said that you had to "work for Steve" (i.e. Steve Jobs, C.E.O. of Pixar and Apple) to win a prize since me, Avi and one of his other friends who works at Apple all won Waterloo prizes at the raffle! Hehe sweet. Yeah so talking about the raffle, I won an AWESOME University of Waterloo Alumni Sweatshirt which is from the Campus Store at Waterloo and I'm sure would have cost like $60. It is sooo nice and it was probably due to the fact that we were running so late that I won the prize. It was a business card draw and as we came in late, my business card was right on the top of the pile. The lady must have not mixed the cards around much so that was pretty awesome as I was the first person to win! The lady said, "And the winner is... Mike Jutan from Pixar!" I saw the Pixar logo as she was holding up my card so I was excited and thought I might have won! Anyway, I got a sweet sweatshirt and I told the lady later on that I'd have to hold onto the sweatshirt for 2 more years before I become an Alumni and can then wear it!! :)

I also talked to a guy named Mark who is the President and CEO of Wi-Gear and he was very interesting. He worked in Boston for 8 years, then in France and now he started his own Apple iPod Accessory company in San Francisco. He had some very interesting things to say and was a great person to talk to.

Tomorrow there is a movie at work and also Saturday we should be watching a movie at work too so that will be fun.

No comments: