Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Pixar's One Man Band nominated for Oscar!

Today was very exciting news for two directors at Pixar, Andrew Jimenez and Mark Andrews! One Man Band, Pixar's newest short film, has been nominated for an Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film. That rocks. I have seen the film several times and it is marvelous, a very cute story and beautiful artwork and filmmaking. Congrats Andrew and Mark for the nomination!!!!! Here are a few links to the art on the Pixar website, and also some stuff from the San Francisco newspaper and the Oscar Nominees List.
The other nominees look great too, there are some fantastic films this year and I am pretty psyched to see who is going to win. I am surprised that Batman Begins didn't get more nominations, especially for Sound... I thought the Sound in Batman Begins was just unbelievably awesome. But glad to see they did get a nomination for Cinematography.

Also it is very interesting to note that all 3 of the films nominated for Best Animated Film this year are not 3D Animation films! This is different from the previous trend where there were lots and lots (if not all) of the nominees in the Best Animated Film category that were 3D Animation films. The nominees this year are: Howl's Moving Castle, Corpse Bride and Wallace and Gromit's The Curse of the Were-Rabbit. I have seen the first two and Howl's is really quite amazing and very imaginative. Corpse Bride is a great Tim Burton film, and he always does a great job with his movies. I haven't seen Wallace and Gromit yet because it came out during exams at school and I haven't had a chance yet to see it, but it looks awesome and I love all of Aardman's older stuff too. Last year Pixar did not have a full-length Animated Film.

It is interesting to see that the trend of only 3D Animated films in the Best Animated Film category is not necessarily the case... what is most important is the story. All of the creative genius that goes into a film is really what matters, not what particular medium it is using to get that story across. Great to see a 2D animated film like Howl's get nominated. That rocks.

Anyway all is well, I am off to LA this weekend to visit my friend Tracy and I'm really excited for that, we are going to do tons of awesome stuff. Might even get to Universal Studios, my favourite place ever. It's going to be so awesome.

No comments: