Thursday, November 06, 2008

New computer, continued...

Still going back and forth on the computer discussion.

I think I have safely decided that I want a machine that is 64-bit compliant. It is more future-looking and also presumably will give me less trouble should I ever want more than 4 GB RAM and when I want to dual-boot with Linux 64. Cool.

So now that this is determined, I have yet another issue. The Dell XPS 420 only comes with a sweet array of Video Card choices if you get Windows Vista 32-bit. Presumably that means that there are no drivers yet for the better video cards, or that the computer with Windows Vista 64-bit has a different motherboard which the sweet Video Cards are not compatible with. Either way, I was kinda set on getting a sick 512 Mb Video Card... mostly 'cause 256 Mb feels "soooo 2004" and I want my machine to really rock the house.

So now a predicament, I've decided I want 64-bit. Thus I need a 64-bit compatible video card. The best one Dell offers is the ATI Radeon HD 3650 256Mb card. Fortunately at least it has dual-DVI ports. But still, it's lacking the lustre of the one I was looking at last week.

What to do, what to do...

Oh, hey. Look at this. Apparently the never-affordable Dell XPS 630 has a random deal here on the Dell Site. I can't apply my own discount, but the discount on it is so good it's ridiculous. Slightly less bus speed and processor speed than what I've been looking at, but everything else is good. Plus it's an NVidia card which generally I like better. And it's cheap as heck. And since it doesn't come with any monitors, I can just buy the cheaper Dell 20" ones without the cameras on them, still match the monitors, and save another $60 for "installed camera" upgrades that I don't even need.

Here's the details for the choice of today... oy... soon I will finally pick this. Finally narrowing it down to at least a few options.

The only drawback of this one is a trade of this processor:
Intel® Core™2 Q8200 Quad-Core (4MB L2 cache,2.33GHz,1333FSB)

to this one:
Intel® Core™2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.40GHz,1066FSB)

So more cache, slight faster speed, but slower front-side bus.

Anyway, here are the specs. Also this machine looks BAD-ASS. It's painted red and all slick and sliver style, it looks like Iron Man's suit.
  • Dell XPS 630
  • Red Bezel Chassis
  • Intel® Core™2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.40GHz,1066FSB)
  • Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit
  • 750GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
  • 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 DIMMs
  • 2x 20 IN 2009W Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand
  • nVidia GeForce 9800 GT 512MB
So that is pretty amazing. And it's (with all the savings) the same price as buying the XPS 420 last week with 32-bit Vista and the ATI 512MB card. So this is pretty awesome. Will I FINALLY buy something. Yes, yes, soon.

No comments: