Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Green Tea is Bruce Banner, Matcha is The Hulk

Ok, this one I gotta try next.

My friend Rachel and I are doing a talk this week at work about the benefits of tea and demonstrating some different preparation methods, styles of tea, etc. We're trying to indoctrinate some more tea nerds!

Anyhow I've been reading up more about tea health benefits and keep circling back to Matcha. The Wikipedia page points to some interesting research from the University of Colorado:
"In 2003, researchers from the University of Colorado found that the concentration of the antioxidant EGCG available from drinking matcha is up to 137 times greater than the amount of EGCG available from other commercially available green teas."
Uh, whaaat?!?!??! 137 times greater?? I'd heard 10 times greater, but not 137 times :) That's absurd!! The real difference between Matcha and "regular" green tea is it's just a ground up leaf, so you're actually drinking the entire tea leaf. This means you get chlorophyll and the usuals (EGCG, catechins, amino acids) in insanely increased quantities.

So basically Green Tea is Bruce Banner (still pretty badass), but Matcha is the friggin' HULK.

I am gonna head to Japantown in SF at some point soon to get a Matcha whisk and bowl and other preparation utensils, and definitely gonna start busting this out. I've had some before but never realized how awesome it is for you, so I want to start drinking this one more often. Matcha... you fiend!

No comments: